United Way’s 21st Annual Thanksgiving Project will provide more than 15,000 families with the full ingredients needed for a Thanksgiving celebration. With the crisis at hand, unemployment rising each day, and many families unable to make ends meet, our community has continued to step up in so many ways for our neighbors in need. Whether you choose to contribute time or dollars, your support will allow us to feed more families than ever this year. More importantly, it will help to ensure that everyone in our community has the chance to enjoy a home-cooked holiday meal with their loved ones, no matter the challenges they may be facing as a result of the pandemic. By participating, you truly embody the warmth of the season and serve as an example of what it means to LIVE UNITED.
The Impact of United Way and the Thanksgiving Project
- Since 2009, the Thanksgiving Project has grown to support over 11,000 families each year!
- Combined with the pallets of food provided by Wegmans, it all adds up to more than 200,000 pounds of food.
- The week before Thanksgiving, over 1,400 volunteers put their muscles to work by packaging food into individual Thanksgiving grocery bags and loading them onto UPS trucks for delivery.
- Distribution takes place the Saturday before Thanksgiving in 20 different communities through United Way’s partners, including regional nonprofits like Catholic Charities, Interfaith Social Services, the Lynn Housing Authority, the Weymouth Food Pantry, Lawrence Community Works, and more.
How You Can Get Involved:
- Sponsor a family’s meal by donating directly to the project. As food costs continue to rise, funding remains our most critical need.
- Host a virtual Gather, Gobble and Give event! Challenge your friends to match your donation or host an online get together to sponsor a local family’s Thanksgiving dinner as part of the celebration. All you have to do is set a goal for the number of families you would like to support – each meal costs only $50.
- Volunteer as a group by sponsoring a packing shift during the week of November 16-20. Specifics to come and all shifts will be held in compliance with the latest state and local gathering guidelines.
- Join the movement by following @unitedwaymabay on social media and sharing what you are most grateful for. Remember to tag #UWThanksgiving #LiveUnited and @unitedwaymabay and help spread the word!
To learn more, please contact Dahlia Cox at email@example.com or 617-624-8032.
A huge thanks to last year’s sponsors!
- Impact Stories
- Ending Homelessness
- Moving Families out of Poverty
- Supporting Young Children
- Preparing Youth for Success
- Community Investment Tax Credit
- Service Area
- Impact Stories