United Way’s 20th Annual Thanksgiving Project provides more than 10,000 families with the full ingredients needed for a Thanksgiving celebration. As food costs continue to rise and the demand for assistance remains high, local corporations and volunteers continue to step forward to donate food, funding, and their own time to help feed more families and ensure everyone has the opportunity to enjoy a great holiday meal with their loved ones. Participants embody the warmth of the season and serve as examples in the community of what it truly means to LIVE UNITED.
The Impact of United Way and the Thanksgiving Project
- Since 2009, the Thanksgiving Project has grown to support more than 7,500 families each year – that’s well over 25,000 people annually!
- Companies all over Eastern Massachusetts run drives for cornbread. Combined with the pallets of food provided by Wegmans, it all adds up to more than 200,000 pounds of food.
- The week before Thanksgiving, more than 1,000 volunteers put their muscles to work by packaging food into individual Thanksgiving grocery bags and loading them onto UPS trucks for delivery.
- Distribution takes place the Saturday before Thanksgiving in more than 15 different communities through United Way’s partners, including regional nonprofits like Catholic Charities, Interfaith Social Services, the Lynn Housing Authority, the Weymouth Food Pantry, Lawrence Community Works, and more.
How You Can Get Involved:
- Sponsor a family’s meal by donating directly to the project. As food costs continue to rise, funding remains our most critical need.
- Host a Gather, Gobble and Give event, either at an office potluck or at home. Make it count either way by sponsoring a local family’s Thanksgiving dinner as part of the celebration. Set a goal for the number of families you would like to support – each meal costs only $50.
- Run an item drive for cornbread to help supply the food needed for each grocery bag. All cornbread drives must be completed and delivered by Tuesday, November 19, 2019.
- Volunteer as a group by sponsoring a packing shift during the week of November 19-22.
- Join the movement by following @unitedwaymabay on social media and sharing what you are most grateful for. Remember to tag #UWThanksgiving #LiveUnited and @unitedwaymabay and help spread the word!
To learn more, please contact Emily Stanford at firstname.lastname@example.org or 617-624-8171.DONATE
- Ending Homelessness
- Moving Families out of Poverty
- Supporting Young Children
- Preparing Youth for Success
- Community Investment Tax Credit
- Service Area
- Impact Stories
Find Out More
Stay Up To Date
Sign up for our e-newsletter!