THE INNOVATION ECONOMY IS GROWING IN OUR OWN BACKYARD. BUT WILL TODAY’S STUDENTS BE PREPARED FOR TOMORROW’S STEM JOBS?
Despite being a renowned center of learning, students in Boston Public Schools (BPS) are struggling – especially in STEM (science, technology, engineering and math) subjects. On the 2021 Massachusetts Comprehensive Assessment System (MCAS) standardized achievement test, 84% of BPS 8th graders failed to meet or exceed expectations in Science and Technology/Engineering. This can impact their futures, as 8th grade is when students make course selections for high school that will chart their future career path.
How bostem helps
- Provides high-quality learning opportunities through STEM Chats and Bites.
- Works with out-of-school time programs and with corporate volunteers to offer experiential learning with industry professionals.
- Provides STEM learning opportunities, tips and tricks for home learning, and other engaging pieces of information via our blog.
EARLY RESULTS ARE PROMISING
- BoSTEM delivered an average of 106 hours of out-of-school programming per student.
- 77% of all students reported positive gains in STEM Interest overall
- 80% of students reported positive change in social and emotional skills.
How to Get Involved
We have lots of ways for you and your colleagues to get involved with young people and STEM, both in person and virtual.
Get in Touch
Fill out the form below to receive information on how you can help with BoSTEM, from recording STEM chats to hosting your own workshops. Change can’t happen without you.
Become a BoSTEM Sponsor!
Check out the great companies that are helping nurture an interest in STEM. Reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org to get involved!