United Way Worldwide Celebrates Corporate Champions of Change
Some of our best local partners recognized, including Bank of America, Deloitte, P&G, UPS, and Target
This week, United Way Worldwide recognized eleven companies as “Outstanding Strategic Partners,” celebrating their long-term commitment, giving, volunteering, leadership and employee engagement which is making a lasting impact to improve lives and communities.
At United Way of Massachusetts Bay & Merrimack Valley, we were excited to see five of our very best corporate partners honored on that list: Bank of America, Deloitte, P&G, UPS and Target.
“United Way and communities around the world wouldn’t be where we are today without the passion and partnership of these corporate leaders and their employees,” said Brian Gallagher, president and CEO, United Way Worldwide. “They are helping us scale impact around the world and create opportunities for a brighter future and a better life for all people.”
- Bank of America has been a longtime supporter of United Way and its affiliates for decades, contributing more than $200 million and engaging employees annually through the company’s United Way Campaign. Locally, they have been one of our most important partners in our work on financial stability, supporting our free EITC tax prep program with both financial support and volunteers. Last year, this effort resulted in more than $6.4 million dollars in tax refunds for over 4,200 families in our region – money that has supported our local economy while helping our neediest families.
- Deloitte LLP is a leader in its efforts to help address our nation’s most pressing societal needs, notably through its more than 30-year commitment to United Way. Here in Massachusetts, Deloitte has been an outstanding partner, with their employees among our most engaged volunteers. This year, Deloitte won our LIVE UNTED Corporate Spirit Award in recognition of its partnership through fundraising, volunteering, pro bono services, advocating and supporting special initiatives. Its volunteers are focused on efforts ranging from reading to preschoolers in the community to skill-based services, and providing United Way strategic leadership at the Board of Director level.
- P&G touches and improves the lives of millions of children around the world, and made it possible for the entire Latin America region to focus on improving early learning and helping kids get ready for success in school by expanding Born Learning with United Way. Here in Massachusetts, Boston-headquarted Gillette has raised over $1 million for local families in their workplace campaign, and they consistently go above and beyond in their fundraising and volunteer efforts in our community.
- UPS and its employees were the first company to raise $1 billion in contributions to United Way, with focused efforts on education and financial stability. They are also an invaluable partner for us in Massachusetts. Our annual Thanksgiving Project would not be possible without the support of UPS, whose employees help transport more than 5,000 Thanksgiving meal packages and over 100,000 pounds of food to provide families in our region with a holiday meal.
- Target’s education partnership with United Way is helping communities collaborate to improve kindergarten readiness and test scores, and long-term, ensure more young people graduate from high school and college. For the last 4 years, they have sponsored our own award-winning Summer Learning Collaborative, which works with works with more than 20 community-based organizations and 2,300 children in turn-around school districts to reduce summer learning loss. Last summer, this innovative initiative yielded breakthrough results, with 89% of our Summer Learners avoiding typical learning loss.
To view the complete list of companies honored by UWW, see the press release.