LOCATION: Boston, MA
POSITION TITLE: STEM Coordinator
DIVISION: Community Impact
REPORTS TO: BoSTEM Project Director
STATUS: Part-Time Non-exempt
United Way seeks a professional to work part-time, who has experience in volunteer management and event planning, with a focus on youth development through the lens of Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM). The candidate will join United Way’s Educational Success team to support our BoSTEM Initiative, which is focused on engaging middle schoolers in meaningful STEM experiences that improve social-emotional skills, academic achievement, and interest in STEM careers.
The STEM Coordinator will serve as the liaison for BoSTEM amongst schools, Out-of-School time (OST) programs, and corporate partners. The STEM Coordinator will develop, plan, coordinate, and implement volunteer engagement and other events that support student learning in BoSTEM programs; refine systems for soliciting, documenting, analyzing, and communicating stakeholder learning gleaned from BoSTEM volunteer opportunities.
The primary activities of the STEM Coordinator will be to plan workplace field trips to STEM corporations, and volunteer opportunities for STEM professional at BoSTEM OST programs.
Workplace field trips: This involves communicating with both BoSTEM OST programs and corporate partners to match them according to curriculum or interest. The STEM Coordinator must work to coordinate a time for field trips, manage the collection of necessary forms (e.g. student rosters, permission slips), planning the logistics of the workplace field trip (e.g. agenda, transportation), and attending the field trips. While attending field trips, the STEM Coordinator will be expected to support the educators and professionals in ensuring a high-quality experience for all involved, as well as collecting survey data from the youth attending the field trip.
Volunteering: The STEM Coordinator will be responsible for identifying volunteers from STEM corporations to volunteer at BoSTEM OST partners. Volunteers will support hands-on activities with youth at OST partners, and speak with youth about their career paths. The STEM Coordinator will also coordinate these volunteer opportunities with OST partners, train the volunteers when necessary, and ensure the collection of any necessary forms (e.g. CORI/SORI).
The STEM Coordinator will also support the BoSTEM Project Director on planning events, and administration-related activities.
This is a part-time (20 hours/week) position.
- Partnership Development:
- Strengthen existing partnerships, and support the growth of new partnerships with STEM corporations in collaboration with the United Way Corporate Engagement team
- Manage relationships with school, OST and Corporate partners by providing high-quality customer service to all
- Project Coordination:
- Act as a resource for new and existing program partners developing and implementing high-quality volunteer opportunities
- Successfully coordinate workplace field trips and volunteer opportunities with STEM corporate partners
- Document and archive all efforts and outcomes, as well as feedback from youth and volunteers
- Event Management:
- Successfully plan and implement field trips and volunteer opportunities
- Create workplans, calendars, logistical checklists, and invitation lists to support the implementation of these events
- Develop marketing collateral for web-based, social media, and live outreach opportunities.
- Research and develop training materials (PowerPoints, handouts, etc.) or refine existing materials for use at professional learning community events.
4. Program Administration
- Collecting and appropriately filing documentation such as permission slips and CORI forms
- Assisting the BoSTEM Project Director on activities related to BoSTEM
- Professional demeanor and ability to work in multicultural settings
- Ability to manage and prioritize multiple tasks and to work independently
- Ability to manage relationships and provide excellent customer service
- Detail oriented and a self-starter
- Experience in project and/or event management
- Group facilitation skills are a plus
- Background in education, youth development and/or STEM is a plus
- Proficiency in Spanish, Portuguese, or Haitian Creole is a plus
- Commitment to excellence and the United Way Mission.
About United Way:
We unite to create positive, lasting change for people in need. We call it harnessing the power of people working together. And that means everyone – individuals, nonprofits, companies, and government agencies.
We work every day to achieve our vision and mission by focusing on two foundations of better lives: Financial Opportunity and Educational Success. Specifically:
Financial Opportunity: Ensuring that all families have safe housing, healthy food, and quality childcare. That they have jobs that allow them to support themselves and their families. And that they have access to financial tools and coaching to help build a better future.
Educational Success: Preparing children to enter school ready to learn, develop critical social and academic skills, and get the support they need to stay in school and graduate.
You are the key to making this shared vision a reality. Your gifts become critical funding for ground-breaking initiatives and best-in-class partnerships with nonprofit agencies throughout our region, your time and talents fuel the engine for change; your friends, family, and colleagues are the army of difference-makers who positively impact lives.
That’s what it means to LIVE UNITED.
Please join us.
QUALIFIED APPLICANTS SHOULD FORWARD A RESUME AND COVER LETTER TO:
United Way of Massachusetts Bay and Merrimack Valley,
Human Resources Coordinator,
51 Sleeper Street, Boston, MA 02210.