Location: Boston, MA
Position Title: Payroll and Benefits Manager
Division: Finance and Administration
Reports to: Controller and Vice President, Human Resources
Status: Exempt, Full-time
Administer bi-weekly payroll for a staff of approximately 90 full-time and part-time employees, as well as approximately 20 seasonal employees. Manage accounting, enrollment and employee communications for all benefits.
Accurately and efficiently process the bi-weekly payroll, through the Paycom Payroll System, for a staff of approximately 90 full-time and part-time employees, as well as approximately 20 seasonal employees.
- Make changes in payroll based on new hires, terminations and salary changes, including but not limited to division/department assignment, grants charged for grant funded positions, benefit deductions and any and all other deductions, both those offered to and elected by the employee (i.e. credit union, MBTA pass program, UW pledges, etc.) and those mandated by the state or federal government (i.e. taxes, garnishments, etc.).
- Automate the tracking and reporting of vacation and sick time accrual to provide accurate reporting of accrued/used balances on employee checks each pay period.
- Process all time sheets provided by Paycom Software, each pay period, and communicate with the mangers and/or Human Resources regarding questions, etc.
- Verify the accuracy of payroll when it is received and prior to distribution to employees.
- Under the direction of the Controller, prepare Federal and State taxes after each pay period; review W-2’s at year end; prepare audit work papers for year-end payroll audit; prepare and maintain journal entries each pay period and to post withholding and salary expenses to the General Ledger. Distribute payroll to appropriate budgeted departments.
- Work with Budget Director to create and manage an annual budget. Investigate and help explain variances in payroll budget.
- Maintain accurate and secure records and employee payroll files to provide timely and accurate reporting of payroll history and current information.
- Reconciliation of Federal and State taxes; reconciliation of quarterly and year- end statements; reconciliation of W-2’s; verification of W-4’s; reconciliation of payroll withholding accounts to the General Ledger; reconciliation and posting of payroll journal entries to the General Ledger; reconciliation of payroll bank account; reconciliation and payment of benefit invoices; maintenance of payroll.
- Work with the organization’s administrator of its unemployment insurance to provide information on terminated employees submitting claims to DET. Produce reports, filings, etc. requiring payroll information.
Manage payment, accounting, enrollment and communications for all benefits.
- Manage Employee Benefits Program and communicate benefit offerings to staff via trainings, new employee orientations, brown bag lunches, etc.
- Manage the logistics and distribution of the MBTA Pass Program each month.
- Administer 401K Plan; maintenance of all 401K records; payment of 401K contributions, employer matching and employer core amounts. Prepare and transmit the bi-weekly 401K contribution report in a timely manner.
- Reconcile, code for accounting, and submit for payment all benefit invoices; automate the process of invoice reconciliation and maintain accurate records of processing. Provide an accurate report of benefits, elected by each employee, to Human Resources on a regular basis.
Other duties may be assigned as deemed appropriate to the position. Currently, such duties include preparation of the 990 Form and preparation of the Workers’ Compensation Audit and documentation payroll information.
- Associates or a bachelor’s degree; comparable experience considered.
- Demonstrated skill and strong working knowledge of automated payroll and Report Writing software, required. Paycom software experience preferred.
- Proficiency in a Microsoft Office environment (Excel, Word for Windows), strongly preferred.
- Minimum of five (5) years’ payroll experience, preferred.
- Knowledge of employment law as it applies to administration of payroll, benefits, leaves, etc., preferred.
- Proven skill in problem solving and detail organization.
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written, necessary.
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize and administer multiple tasks.
- Commitment to excellence and the confidentiality required in the payroll function.
QUALIFIED APPLICANTS SHOULD FORWARD A RESUME AND COVER LETTER TO:
United Way of Massachusetts Bay and Merrimack Valley
Human Resources Coordinator
51 Sleeper Street, Boston, MA 02210. Fax: 617- 624-9114
United Way of Massachusetts Bay and Merrimack Valley is committed to hiring individuals who reflect the diversity of the communities we serve.