LOCATION: Boston, MA
POSITION TITLE: Manager, Direct Marketing and Stewardship
REPORTS TO: Assistant Vice President, Stewardship
STATUS: Full-Time, Exempt
The Manager, Direct Marketing and Stewardship serves as the organization-wide subject matter expert for all direct marketing activity, specifically the Direct Mail program, and serves as the primary content developer for the Stewardship program. This position will be responsible for acquiring, retaining and upgrading donors by implementing strategy and managing the development of all direct marketing communications. This position will also create custom and templated stewardship materials for the team and the organization.
- Maintain a portfolio of direct mail donors and conduct fundraising of those donors through mail and email solicitations.
- Contribute to organizational fundraising by executing all direct mail solicitations and related communications.
- Utilize current and emerging direct response fundraising techniques and channels to retain and cultivate current donors and reactivate lapsed donors with a focus on individuals through Direct Mail.
- Priority is to focus on cultivation of current and lapsed donors, particularly those not assigned in individual giving caseload. Secondary focus is acquisition of new donors and conversion of designated or one-time event donors.
- Serve as main liaison between external partners and internal customers related to direct mail including the Marketing Department, the mail house, the consultant, and others as needed.
- Help to establish and achieve specific fundraising goals.
- Develop creative, copy, and content for all Direct Mail marketing materials including accompanying email solicitations.
- Write and execute all Direct Mail related stewardship communications.
- Manage all creative production and internal routing to ensure that all communications adhere to United Way messaging archetype and brand guidelines.
- Maintain system for and manage transparent White Mail encoding and metrics in complement to Direct Mail.
- Monitor, and analyze key marketing metrics (response rates, retention rates, reactivation rates, average gifts, upgrading, deliverability, etc.) to ensure campaign objectives and revenue goals are met. This includes a particular focus on monthly projections for Direct Mail and White Mail.
- Support ad hoc direct response related projects, such as annual Board of Directors solicitations, Community Investment Tax Credit mailings, bi-annual Donor Advised Fund solicitations, and Planned Giving solicitations.
- Ensure appropriate process and execution of data for list pulls from database (Andar).
- Provide leadership on the Stewardship team by maintaining templated communications including annual acknowledgement refreshes, event stewardship materials, and weekly custom communications for organizational leadership.
- In addition to the core responsibilities of the position, may be asked, or may seek, to engage unique abilities, strengths and passions through participation on cross-functional teams.
- A bachelor’s degree in business, communications or a related field.
- A minimum of 2-4 years of experience non-profit experience.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office applications, Internet usage and software applications.
- Experience with Adobe InDesign and Photoshop encouraged.
- Strong marketing and writing skills required, samples will be requested.
- Adept in data management and analytics. Ability to quickly learn new data systems preferred. Experience with Andar CRM a plus.
- Possess effective people, communication and presentation skills.
- Must work well independently and on a team.
- Possess an understanding of United Way programs and initiatives.
- Ability to set priorities, manage multiple tasks and meet deadlines.
- Demonstrates solid organizational and project management skills.
- Ability to communicate information in a clear and concise manner.
- Exceptionally detail-oriented.
- Ability to be flexible and adapt quickly to changing environment.
- Commitment to excellence and to the mission of United Way.
QUALIFIED APPLICANTS SHOULD FORWARD A RESUME AND COVER LETTER TO:
United Way of Massachusetts Bay and Merrimack Valley is committed to hiring individuals who reflect the diversity of the communities we serve.