LOCATION: Portsmouth, New Hampshire
POSITION TITLE: Families in Transition – AmeriCorps VISTA
DIVISION: Community Impact
REPORTS TO: Director, Community Impact
STATUS: Temporary, One year term (July 2019 – July 2020)
As an AmeriCorps VISTA you will be instrumental in providing capacity building support to United Way and its strategic nonprofit community partners to meet shared goals, better engage volunteers in meaningful activities, and increase the scale and reach of our impact. You will focus on United Way’s signature projects within our Educational Success portfolio, honing your development skills (Women United) and managing programs focused on kindergarten readiness (Somersworth Ready Together), health and wellness (Coordinated School Health Program) and youth substance misuse prevention (Granite Youth Film Festival).
The United Way of the Greater Seacoast mobilizes community members throughout a 3 county region in addressing local needs. Family Financial Stability and Healthy Child Development are the key issues on which our United Way (located in Portsmouth, NH) is focusing resources. There are exciting events to be planned, and volunteers to be engaged in both areas of focus. The VISTA will work to engage volunteers to ensure children, particularly those from low-income families, enter kindergarten ready to succeed! VISTA members receive a weekly stipend, an education grant at the end of their service year, and other benefits. The time commitment is from July 2018 – July 2019.
The VISTA will:
- assist with United Way’s Signature Initiative “Somersworth Ready Together” focused on early care/education, parent/caregiver engagement, public awareness, and kindergarten readiness;
- build the capacity of “Women United” to meet the needs of those living in poverty in our community through programming and fundraising;
- plan and execute our Granite Youth Film Festival, a United Way signature event which is part of a larger body of work aimed at preventing substance abuse among middle and high school students;
- assist in the activities related to United Way’s Strategic Initiative “Coordinated School Health Program” which is a framework that promotes health and wellness throughout the K-12 curriculum in two communities (Farmington and Somersworth).
Most work will be performed Monday-Friday during business hours. Infrequently evenings and weekends will be required.
- College degree
- Excellent oral and written communication skills including comfort with public speaking
- Comfort working with diverse populations
- Motivated self-starter
- Ability to work independently
- Prior experience and success in developing and/or managing projects
- Research skills
- Facilitation skills
- Proficient in use of Microsoft word, excel, power point
- Comfort learning web based technology
- Social Media
About United Way
We unite to create positive, lasting change for people in need. We call it harnessing the power of people working together. And that means everyone – individuals, nonprofits, companies, and government agencies.
We work every day to achieve our vision and mission by focusing on two foundations of better lives: Financial Opportunity and Educational Success. Specifically:
Financial Opportunity: Ensuring that all families have safe housing, healthy food and quality childcare. That they have jobs that allow them to support themselves and their families. And that they have access to financial tools and coaching to help build a better future.
Educational Success: Preparing children to enter school ready to learn, develop critical social and academic skills, and get the support they need to stay in school and graduate.
You are the key to making this shared vision a reality. Your gifts become critical funding for ground-breaking initiatives and best-in-class partnerships with nonprofit agencies throughout our region, your time and talents fuel the engine for change; your friends, family and colleagues are the army of difference-makers who positively impact lives.
That’s what it means to LIVE UNITED.
Please join us.
HOW TO APPLY: New Hampshire, Maine and Massachusetts residents please submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
All others please go to www.americorps.gov and select New Hampshire to apply for this position.
United Way of Massachusetts Bay and Merrimack Valley is committed to hiring individuals who reflect the diversity of the communities it serves.