POSITION TITLE: Director, Individual Giving
REPORTS TO: Senior Director, Strategic Initiatives & Individual Giving
United Way’s Director Individual Giving will be an integral part of a team whose responsibility it is to strengthen our organization’s relationship with the Private Equity & Venture Capital (PE/VC) industry in Greater Boston. Reporting to the Senior Director, s/he will be responsible for designing and executing a strategy to increase fundraising and engagement in order to support and scale United Way’s community impact. The Director will be expected to lead by example and demonstrate United Way’s core values in all internal and external relationships.
The successful candidate must excel at strategic relationship management and project management. S/he will have a proven track record of success motivating and mobilizing diverse stakeholders to deliver on shared goals as well as demonstrated success working collaboratively across departments within an organization. This role requires the ability to leverage data to shape and execute on key strategies. Additionally, s/he will need to translate strategic vision across internal/external teams in order to successfully execute programs and deliver outcomes that impact key organizational priorities.
KEY RESPONSIBILITY AREAS
- Individual Giving: S/he will be responsible for managing and cultivating relationships through a portfolio of approximately 250 high net worth donors and prospects.
- Corporate Relations: S/he will lead and execute growth strategies for PE/VC institutional accounts, including fundraising, new business strategies, volunteer engagement, and supporting workplace campaigns when appropriate.
- Event Management: S/he will lead the strategy and execution of the PE/VC Leadership Breakfast and other industry events, including the development and design of new events as appropriate. Working cross-functionally with the Events and Marketing teams, s/he will oversee and project manage event timelines, Council engagement, sponsorship, keynote and program development, marketing collateral production, and onsite solicitations as appropriate. S/he will manage event logistics and coordinate internal efforts so all events are donor centric and deliver an increased knowledge and understanding of United Way’s work.
- Council Management: S/he will manage all activities related to the PE/VC Leadership and Associate Councils. S/he will lead the development and execution of key strategies including fundraising, events, hands-on volunteer projects, and strategic engagement.
- Facilitative Leadership: S/he will foster a sense of energy, ownership, and personal connection to the work, the communities we serve, and our volunteers and donors.
- Data Management & Analysis: S/he will maintain and enter accurate information within databases in order to create and produce industry, event, and fundraising reports on a regular basis. S/he will be responsible for overseeing industry revenue projections.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Commitment to excellence and passion for United Way’s mission.
- 3-5 years of development, account management, program management, and/or events/marketing experience. Bachelor Degree required.
- High-energy individual who takes initiative, has a positive outlook, entrepreneurial attitude, a sense of humor, and the ability to thrive in a changing environment. Ability to be flexible and team oriented.
- Proven track record meeting and exceeding development/sales goals, including the identification and cultivation of new business prospects.
- Strong attention to detail and proven ability to manage and prioritize multiple tasks simultaneously in order to meet tight deadlines.
- Cultural competency: must possess the ability to work with a diverse group of internal and external individuals, agencies, causes and businesses.
- Excellent written, oral communication, and presentation skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills both in person and on the phone.
- Intermediate to advanced level skills in MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint required.
- Proficiency in database applications and data analysis required.
- Knowledge of local business, civic and cultural communities.
- Knowledge and interest in PE/VC and associated industries a plus.
- Willingness to provide support outside of regular business hours (ex. industry events/meetings occasionally occur on nights and weekends).
We unite to create positive, lasting change for people in need. We call it harnessing the power of people working together. And that means everyone – individuals, nonprofits, companies, and government agencies.
We work every day to achieve our vision and mission by focusing on two foundations of better lives: Financial Opportunity and Educational Success. Specifically:
- Financial Opportunity: Ensuring that all families have safe housing, healthy food, and quality childcare. That they have jobs that allow them to support themselves and their families. And that they have access to financial tools and coaching to help build a better future.
- Educational Success: Preparing children to enter school ready to learn, develop critical social and academic skills, and get the support they need to stay in school and graduate.
You are the key to making this shared vision a reality. Your gifts become critical funding for ground-breaking initiatives and best-in-class partnerships with nonprofit agencies throughout our region, your time and talents fuel the engine for change; your friends, family, and colleagues are the army of difference-makers who positively impact lives.
That’s what it means to LIVE UNITED. Please join us.
QUALIFIED APPLICANTS SHOULD FORWARD A RESUME AND COVER LETTER TO:
United Way of Massachusetts Bay and Merrimack Valley, Human Resources Coordinator, 51 Sleeper Street, Boston, MA 02210. Fax: 617- 624-9114