LOCATION: Boston, MA
POSITION TITLE: Director, Individual Giving, Real Estate & Building Industry
REPORTS TO: Vice President, Individual Giving
The Director, Individual Giving, Real Estate & Building Industry, is responsible for cultivating, building and managing strategic partnerships between United Way of Massachusetts Bay and Merrimack Valley (UWMB) and the Commercial Real Estate industry. The Director will be expected to lead by example and demonstrate United Way’s core values in all internal and external relationships.
The Director will be responsible for creating and executing the short- and long-term fundraising and volunteer engagement strategies that drive resources for United Way. The Director will serve as the staff lead for an annual industry breakfast that attracts more than 1,200 attendees and generates over $3 million in annual revenue. This includes the volunteer management of a board of respected Real Estate Industry Leaders who fundraise and advise on strategy for both the event and for United Way’s community impact. The Director is also responsible for collaborating on the leadership of the Community Builders group, a volunteer and networking group designed to engage young professionals within the industry.
The Director builds relationships with donors and potential donors within the Real Estate Industry and will be responsible for a portfolio of donors to steward and cultivate. The Director should be a leader, a strategic thinker, and a relationship builder. S/he should be detail-oriented and a team player, working in partnership with colleagues throughout United Way to help achieve organizational goals.
KEY RESPONSIBILITY AREAS
- Event Management: S/he will lead the strategy and execution of the Real Estate & Building Industry Leadership Breakfast and other industry events. Working cross-functionally with the Events, Marketing, and Community Impact team, s/he will oversee event timelines, sponsorship, ticket sales, marketing collateral, program development, and committee management. S/he will also collaborate with the Development Coordinator on the execution of two (2) annual Community Builders fundraising/networking events. S/he will manage event logistics and coordinate internal efforts so all events are donor-centric and deliver an increased knowledge and understanding of United Way’s work.
- Individual Giving: S/he will be responsible for managing and cultivating relationships through a portfolio of approximately 200 high net worth donors and prospects.
- Corporate Relations: S/he will partner with relevant Corporate Relations staff to determine and execute growth strategies for Commercial Real Estate corporate accounts, including fundraising, new business strategies, volunteer engagement, and supporting workplace campaigns when appropriate.
- Board Management: S/he will manage all activities related to the Real Estate & Building Industry Breakfast Executive Team and Host Committee. S/he will also collaborate with the Development Coordinator on the management of the Community Builders Committee. S/he will lead the development and execution of key strategies including fundraising, events, hands-on volunteer projects, and strategic engagement.
- Facilitative Leadership: S/he will foster a sense of energy, ownership, and personal connection to the work, the communities we serve, and our volunteers and donors.
- Strategy Development: S/he will develop and execute a year-round industry engagement strategy that aligns industry professionals with United Way’s community impact goals.
- Project Management: S/he will organize, prioritize and execute complex projects to ensure successful delivery by agreed upon internal and external deadlines.
- Cross-Functional Teamwork: S/he will lead and work collaboratively within Development as well as other Departments (Marketing, Events, Volunteer Engagement, Community Impact, Finance, etc.) in order to achieve organizational goals.
- Communication: S/he will write and enhance communication with Real Estate & Building Industry professionals in order to more fully engage participants in United Way’s work and impact. S/he will develop and maintain knowledge of United Way’s mission and programs in order to effectively communicate sophisticated strategies to external stakeholders.
- Data Management & Analysis: S/he is responsible for clear and accurate data management for internal and external purposes. S/he will maintain and enter accurate information within databases in order to create and produce industry, event, and fundraising reports on a regular basis. S/he will be responsible for overseeing industry revenue projections.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Minimum 2 years of relevant fundraising, major gifts development, program management, and events/marketing experience. Bachelor’s Degree required.
- High-energy individual who takes initiative, has a positive outlook, a sense of humor, and the ability to thrive in a changing environment. Ability to be flexible and team oriented.
- Proven track record meeting and exceeding development/sales goals, including the identification and cultivation of new business prospects.
- Strong attention to detail and proven ability to manage and prioritize multiple tasks simultaneously in order to meet tight deadlines.
- Cultural competency: must possess the ability to work with a diverse group of internal and external individuals, agencies, causes and businesses.
- Excellent written/oral communication and presentation skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills both in person and on the phone.
- Intermediate to advanced level skills in MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint required.
- Proficiency in database applications and data analysis required.
- Knowledge of local business, civic and cultural communities.
- Knowledge and interest in the Real Estate & Building Industry and associated industries a plus.
- Willingness to provide support outside of regular business hours (ex. industry events/meetings occasionally occur on nights and weekends).
- Commitment to excellence and passion for United Way’s mission.
We unite to create positive, lasting change for people in need. We call it harnessing the power of people working together. And that means everyone — individuals, nonprofits, companies, and government agencies.
We work every day to achieve our vision and mission by focusing on two foundations of better lives: Financial Opportunity and Educational Success. Specifically:
- Financial Opportunity: Ensuring that all families have safe housing, healthy food, and quality childcare. That they have jobs that allow them to support themselves and their families. And that they have access to financial tools and coaching to help build a better future.
- Educational Success: Preparing children to enter school ready to learn, develop critical social and academic skills, and get the support they need to stay in school and graduate.
You are the key to making this shared vision a reality. Your gifts become critical funding for ground-breaking initiatives and best-in-class partnerships with nonprofit agencies throughout our region; your time and talents fuel the engine for change; and your friends, family, and colleagues are the army of difference-makers who positively impact lives.
That’s what it means to LIVE UNITED. Please join us.
QUALIFIED APPLICANTS SHOULD FORWARD A RESUME AND COVER LETTER TO:
United Way of Massachusetts Bay and Merrimack Valley
Human Resources Coordinator
51 Sleeper Street, Boston, MA 02210