We unite to create positive, lasting change for people in need. We call it harnessing the power of people working together. And that means everyone – individuals, nonprofits, companies, and government agencies.
We work every day to achieve our vision and mission by focusing on two foundations of better lives: Financial Opportunity and Educational Success. Specifically:
Financial Opportunity: Ensuring that all families have safe housing, healthy food and quality childcare. That they have jobs that allow them to support themselves and their families. And that they have access to financial tools and coaching to help build a better future.
Educational Success: Preparing children to enter school ready to learn, develop critical social and academic skills, and get the support they need to stay in school and graduate.
You are the key to making this shared vision a reality. Your gifts become critical funding for ground-breaking initiatives and best-in-class partnerships with nonprofit agencies throughout our region, your time and talents fuel the engine for change; your friends, family and colleagues are the army of difference-makers who positively impact lives.
That’s what it means to LIVE UNITED.
Please join us.
LOCATION: Boston, MA
POSITION TITLE: Director, Compliance
REPORTS TO: Vice President, Finance
Reporting to the Vice President of Finance the Director, Compliance will be responsible for coordinating compliance processes and procedures across organizational and functional boundaries to ensure compliance with Federal, State, Local and United Way Worldwide rules and regulations. The Director will also work closely with the Senior Director, Grant Finance in managing various private and government grant agreements. The Director will also be cross-trained to serve as backup for critical Finance functions as needed.
- Ensure the timely accurate preparation and submission of all United Way of America as well as regulatory returns and reports for Federal (including the Form 990), State and Local agencies.
- Work closely with the Vice President of Finance on compliance matters as they relate to the administration of specialty programs of the organization including Community Investment Tax Credits, Pay for Success contract, United Way Life Insurance, and possible implementation of a donor advised fund.
- Assist the Vice President of Finance in managing the Risk Management function of the organization by performing reviews of high risk areas and maintaining risk management matrix document.
- Assist the Senior Director, Grant Finance in the review of grant proposals to ensure they meet our compliance standards and are aligned with our community impact goals and strategies. Complete work in accordance with policies and regulations.
- Assist the Senior Director, Grant Finance in maintaining grant reporting and compliance calendar to ensure that finance and other groups meet reporting requirements.
- Be trained as backup for critical Finance functions including but not limited to Accounts Payable, deposits and credit card processing.
- Research regulatory requirements and assist in developing/updating internal policies and procedures to support compliance.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in business, finance or accounting is required.
- Should have at least three years of experience in compliance, auditing or risk management.
- Possession of project management skills is preferable.
- Excellent communication skills including written, verbal, and presentation skills.
- Ability to work collaboratively across divisions with diverse staff.
- Ability to meet tight deadlines and work professionally and calmly under pressure.
- Commitment to excellence and to the mission of United Way.
QUALIFIED CANDIDATES SHOULD FORWARD A RESUME AND COVER LETTER TO:
United Way of Massachusetts Bay and Merrimack Valley
Human Resources Coordinator
51 Sleeper Street, Boston, MA 02210. Fax: 617-624-9114.
United Way of Massachusetts Bay and Merrimack Valley is committed to hiring individuals who reflect the diversity of the communities it serves.