About Boston Builds Credit:
Boston Builds Credit is a first of its kind citywide credit building initiative that seeks to empower Bostonians to build prime credit scores in order to increase their financial stability, build assets, and create wealth. When done citywide, we believe that credit building can be a powerful tool for addressing income inequality and the racial wealth gap. We envision a Boston where no one is held back from pursuing their goals because of Credit.
BBC was created by the United Way, City of Boston, and LISC Boston. Working with our network of community partners, we provide Bostonians with increased access to the tools they need to build a prime credit score, including free credit building workshops, free financial coaching, and safe credit building products. We also work with funders, financial institutions, credit bureaus, and other leaders in the industry to advocate for consumer-focused systems change. Most of all, we’re on a mission to make credit work for everyone. Join us as we work to empower 25,000 Bostonians achieve a prime credit score by 2025!
LOCATION: Boston, MA
POSITION TITLE: Communications & Marketing Specialist – Boston Builds Credit
DIVISION: Community Impact Division, Boston Builds Credit Team
REPORTS TO: Director, Boston Builds Credit
STATUS: 37.5 hours per week for one-year appointment
The Communications & Marketing Specialist is an integral member of the Boston Builds Credit (BBC) team. The Specialist will oversee the development of initiative-wide communication and marketing strategy designed to raise public awareness of and engagement with credit building at the community level. The Specialist will develop and execute on coordinated strategies for the BBC website, newsletter, social media, and public information campaign. With growing national focus on the initiative, this is an incredible opportunity for a communications and marketing professional interested in putting their skills to work for a cause.
- Development of an initiative wide communications and marketing strategy
The Specialist will oversee the development of an initiative-wide communications and marketing strategy. This strategy will knit together different channels of engagement, including the BBC website, newsletter, social media strategy, and public information campaign.
- Management of the BBC Website
The Specialist will oversee the enhancement of the website, turning it into a trusted credit building resource for Bostonians, and will be responsible for regular maintenance of the site, including content and resource updates. The Specialist may work with contracted consultants on content development where outside expertise in credit building is needed. The Specialist will ensure the website strategy is aligned with other aspects of the BBC communications and marketing strategy, including the public information campaign and social media strategies. As part of this work, the specialist will set site traffic and engagement goals.
- Management of BBC Social Media accounts
The Specialist will develop and launch social media strategy for BBC in order to engage Bostonians and share information and resources for how to improve their credit and engage in systems change. This will include development of strategy as well as ongoing content and account management. The Specialist may work with contracted consultants on content development where outside expertise in credit building is needed. Social media will be mostly consumer facing (ie. Facebook, Twitter, Instagram) with some attention to partner resources and thought leadership (via LinkedIn).
- Management of BBC Newsletter
The Specialist will design a newsletter strategy to engage partners in BBC and encourage credit building and advocacy among their constituencies. Newsletter should provide useful content to partners with 1) updates on what is happening at the partner and backbone level; and 2) policy and systems level information and research on best practices in credit building. The Specialist will write and distribute newsletter regularly (at least bimonthly) and set goals for increasing subscribers and engagement.
- Launch of public information campaign
The Specialist will oversee final development and launch of a public information campaign, working closely with BBC’s Director, United Way’s marketing team, and with significant input from the Community Advisory Council and PR Committee. This will include overseeing development of consumer facing materials, website collateral, and other materials depending on what other distribution channels are selected.
- PR Committee Management and partner and resident engagement
The Specialist will staff BBC’s PR Committee, a working group made up of BBC partners and Boston residents, in order to ensure that partners and Boston residents are engaged in development of the above-mentioned communication and marketing strategies. Staffing this committee will include working with co-chairs to set annual goals for the committee, plan agendas for monthly meetings, develop meeting materials, and ensure meeting notes are taken and distributed. The Specialist will also look for other opportunities to collaborate with Boston residents through the Community Advisory Council.
- Support for credit building workshop promotion and tracking
As part of ongoing maintenance of the BBC website, the Specialist will correspond with partners to keep the workshop calendar on the BBC website up to date. In addition, the Specialist will collect quarterly attendance data from partners. Potential areas of focus might also include: 1) developing BBC workshop quality standards; 2) designing an automated system for registering in and/or collecting and maintaining data regarding workshops.
- Other responsibilities to be assigned
- 3-5 years of experience in content creation and strategy for websites, newsletters, and social media
- Strong written and oral communication skills, excellent follow-up, and follow-through skills.
- Strong computer skills, and the ability to learn to use WordPress and Mail Chimp. Previous experience with these platforms is a plus.
- Interest in or willingness to learn more about financial empowerment and credit building specifically, previous experience with these subject areas is a plus.
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent work experience
- Positive attitude and ability to work well with a variety of United Way and BBC partners and staff
- Keen attention to detail and ability to produce professional emails, reports, and documents
- Ability to manage and support time-sensitive and complex projects and to problem-solve
- Ability to manage and prioritize multiple tasks and to work independently
- Experience working in an office environment is helpful
- Willingness to go above and beyond to support BBC and the communities we work with
- Commitment to the mission of United Way and Boston Builds Credit!
Salary of $50,000 – $60,000, commensurate with experience.
QUALIFIED APPLICANTS SHOULD FORWARD A RESUME AND COVER LETTER TO:
United Way of Massachusetts Bay and Merrimack Valley is committed to hiring individuals who reflect the diversity of the communities we work with. Read more about our commitment here.