LOCATION: Boston, MA
POSITION TITLE: AmeriCorps Program Coordinator
DIVISION: Community Impact
REPORTS TO: Program Manager
STATUS: Part-time (28 hours per week) Temporary Grant funded thru 7/31/2019
ABOUT THE UNITED WAY NORTH SHORE AMERICORPS PROGRAM:
The United Way North Shore AmeriCorps Program is an innovative program that focuses on the growing number of English learners on the North Shore. With these new populations, there has been rapidly increasing pressure to meet their needs, particularly around K-12 success. Our program recruits and selects 30 full-time AmeriCorps Members to provide academic and social-emotional support to English language learners (grades K-12) in public schools and community-based organizations for eleven months of service. Collectively, the service of the AmeriCorps Members ensures a holistic approach throughout the community to reduce the barriers to academic success for English language learners and their families. The long-term outcome of our program is to help increase the graduation rates of English learners and provide them with the skills they need to be successful in college or career.
The Program Coordinator will support and lead activities related to United Way’s North Shore AmeriCorps program. Specifically, s/he/they will support the Program Manager to establish a new city partnership, provide support to incoming AmeriCorps Members, and coordinate the program’s evaluation process. S/he/they will also work with the Program Manager and Program Director to ensure that the program is in full compliance with AmeriCorps regulations.
The Program Coordinator will work closely with the Program Manager to execute the following responsibilities:
- Support the expansion of the program to a new community
- Assist is cultivating strong relationships in the North Shore communities with school districts and community organizations
- Ensure all partners are in compliance with AmeriCorps and United Way regulations as outlined in community partnership agreements
- Identify areas to strengthen new and existing partnerships
- Coordinate accurate and timely data collection across all AmeriCorps partner sites
- Monitor and analyze student-level data to identify trends and improve AmeriCorps Member service delivery, ensuring student impact and improvement in targeted areas
Recruitment and Training
- Assist in recruitment efforts for the program, ensuring that all program slots are filled prior to program start
- Coordinate AmeriCorps Member orientation and plan logistics for ongoing Member training
- Assist in identifying and seeking resources to address learning gaps needed to deliver effective service for AmeriCorps Members.
Other assignments based on the needs of the program and interest of the candidate.
- 1 or more years managing or leading a team
- Experience working in a school, educational, or youth-support setting
- Experience with data collection and/or program evaluation
- Demonstrated ability to communicate and present ideas with clarity, credibility, humility, and tact
- Tailor messaging to the audience and maintain professionalism in speaking and writing
- Demonstrated ability to anticipate and plan for questions, listen carefully, provide constructive feedback, and remain open and responsive to feedback from others
- Strong organizational skills, attention to detail, and ability to manage multiple projects effectively
- Flexible team player with excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Willingness to work a flexible schedule including some evenings and weekends, and travel throughout Boston’s North Shore (Lynn, Salem, & Gloucester MA)
- Commitment to excellence and to the mission of United Way
- Bachelor’s degree
- Experience in coordinating and facilitating working groups
- Access to a car and/or transportation to partner sites
About United Way:
We unite to create positive, lasting change for people in need. We call it harnessing the power of people working together. And that means everyone – individuals, nonprofits, companies, and government agencies.
We work every day to achieve our vision and mission by focusing on two foundations of better lives: Financial Opportunity and Educational Success. Specifically:
Financial Opportunity: Ensuring that all families have safe housing, healthy food and quality childcare. That they have jobs that allow them to support themselves and their families. And that they have access to financial tools and coaching to help build a better future.
Educational Success: Preparing children to enter school ready to learn, develop critical social and academic skills, and get the support they need to stay in school and graduate.
You are the key to making this shared vision a reality. Your gifts become critical funding for ground-breaking initiatives and best-in-class partnerships with nonprofit agencies throughout our region, your time and talents fuel the engine for change; your friends, family and colleagues are the army of difference-makers who positively impact lives.
That’s what it means to LIVE UNITED.
Please join us.
QUALIFIED APPLICANTS SHOULD FORWARD A RESUME AND COVER LETTER TO:
United Way of Massachusetts Bay and Merrimack Valley,
Sean Cicero, Program Manager,
51 Sleeper Street, Boston, MA 02210.