Posted on April 4, 2017
AmeriCorps Members – Lynn and Salem MA
AmeriCorps is a national community service program that gives people an opportunity to apply their skills and ideals toward helping others and meeting critical needs in the community. The North Shore AmeriCorps Program is an innovative young program that places 25 AmeriCorps members in schools and nonprofit organizations throughout Lynn and Salem, MA, to help implement programs designed to reduce the school dropout rate among English Language Learners through strategic tutoring and mentoring programs.
AmeriCorps members serve with their host sites, either in a school or a community based nonprofit that provides services to young people. Members provided structured tutoring and mentoring supports to English Language Learners, helping them succeed academically and socially in the community. Youth typically range in age from 8-17, depending on the site. Members complete at least one year of service, from September 2017 to July 2018. Collectively, the work of the AmeriCorps members ensures a holistic approach throughout the community to reduce the barriers to academic success for English language learners and their families. AmeriCorps members will be supervised primarily through their host organization or school, but are also provided additional supports, professional development, and networking opportunities through United Way program staff.
AmeriCorps Service Requirements:
- Complete a minimum of 1700 hours of documented service over the course of one year, as well as the full-term of service (September 2017- July 2018)
- Attend all Corps wide training and learning sessions
- Complete all required AmeriCorps documentation and reporting
- Experience with and/or commitment to youth development
- Interest in nonprofit organizations and their development
- Excellent organization and communication skills
- The ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Proven leadership and project management abilities
- A strong passion for national and community service
- The desire to work with diverse people, organizations and communities
- Positive attitude, flexibility and adaptability
- Must be a US Citizen or Permanent US Resident
- $550/semi-monthly taxable living allowance ($12,900 annual allowance)
- Paid health and dental insurance
- Training and networking opportunities among a core groups of Corps members and other non profit professionals.
- Access to the United Way network for resources after service is complete
- $5,815 Education Award upon completion of service
- Lynn: 7 positions in schools available, 8 positions available in community based nonprofits
- Salem: 8 positions in schools available, 2 positions available in community based nonprofits
AmeriCorps Member Hiring Timeline:
Application deadline is August 18, 2017. Applicants will be notified as applications are reviewed.
September 1st, 2017 Registration day for incoming corps members at United Way in Boston
September 5th, 2017 Full time training and orientation for AmeriCorps members begin
September 21st, 2017 AmeriCorps members begin full time service at sites
FOR MORE INFORMATION ABOUT THE AMERICORPS POSITIONS AVAILABLE AT EACH SITE LISTED ABOVE AND TO APPLY, PLEASE CLICK HERE.
For more information about the North Shore AmeriCorps Program and general information about the AmeriCorps positions, please contact either:
United Way of Massachusetts Bay and Merrimack Valley is committed to hiring individuals who reflect the diversity of the community it serves.